Friday, September 17, 2010

3F=C - と・ま・ど・い 7" flexi (R.B.F., 1984)

Tracklisting

Side A
りんご (Ringo, trans. "Apple")
ばなな (Banana)
へび (Hebi, trans. "Snake")
とろっこ (Torokko, trans. "Wagon")
ときめき (Tokimeki, trans. "Crush")

Here's the sole 7" from 3F=C, a girl-girl duo consisting of Noriko on bass and Sumiko (also in the band Kyah) on guitar. The two craft a breed of bare-bones pop songs that reminds me of the UK DIY scene and its offspring, namely Young Marble Giants, etc. Each song is great, but "Tokimeki" really tops it, sounding to me like what might play in '50s-style diners on the sunken isle of Atlantis. This was actually one of the first "indies" items I obtained, and it's still one of my all-time favorites!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Bounce said...

Thank you very much for this one, really good stuff.
Quite unexpected from a label such as RBF, who usually publish some really generic punk sounds.

c.patera said...

Bounce,
I definitely agree with you there. I'm not smitten with the rest of that label's output, though I'm sure more of it will be showing up here.

Bounce said...

In fact, the sound of Sf=C is quite reminiscent of the 80s french band Antenna.
Particulary the "Camino del sol" period.

Anonymous said...

Torokko
http://www.google.co.jp/images?hl=ja&rlz=1T4GGLL_jaJP396JP396&q=%E3%83%88%E3%83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%82%B3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=I_VQTYvHH5CrcdTnkNcG&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CFQQsAQwBQ

Jack Celliers said...

"Torokko" means "wagon", as far as my jap goes (not very far, indeed). A little bit odd is the fact that it is written in hiragana instead of katakana (I think it comes from the English word "truck·, so it should be written that way), but that switch is not uncommon.

Tokimeki is truly amazing.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ときめき Tokimeki
palpitation (for passion, for love)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's just my crusty old mankheap of a computator but only the first two songs work. Any chance you could re-post it 'cause it's MOCKING ME!